Wrighty's Reads

Tallgrass

Tallgrass - Sandra Dallas I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this since I don't usually care for historical books but I loved it! This is fictional but it's based on actual Japanese internment camps in the U.S. in the 1940's. 13 year-old Rennie Stroud is the narrator of this story in Colorado during WWll. She and her family, including her granny live on a beet farm just outside of the town of Ellis. Her older brother joined the army after Pearl Harbor and her older sister has moved to Denver to help with the war effort. In 1942 Japanese evacuees were brought from their homes in California to an old farm that had been converted into a camp called Tallgrass. It had plywood barracks, a high fence topped with barbed wire and armed guards in towers. They had left most of their possessions behind and were crowded into inadequate homes. Although they were allowed to leave the camp to go into town they weren't always welcome. Many people blamed them directly for the war and for any injuries or deaths of the soldiers from Ellis. They not only experienced hostility and prejudice, they were also threatened, beaten and worse. Some people were brave enough to defend the evacuees and Rennie's family were some of the first to do so. Her father, Loyal and her mother, Mary were kind, honest, hard working people who could not tolerate injustice to anyone. They respectfully spoke against the camp and the prejudice treatment received. Loyal was also the first farmer to hire young men from the camp to work on his farm. Several other farmers were soon to follow but tensions still ran high. When a murder occurs and isn't immediately solved many people naturally blame the newcomers. Rennie finds herself with more and more adult responsibilities and isn't sure who to trust. As more secrets come out so do peoples' true character. Not all is as it seems and there are more victims in this story than anyone realizes but there are also more heroes. This is a book to be shared.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card