Wrighty's Reads

Any Given Doomsday (Phoenix Chronicles Series #1)

Any Given Doomsday - Lori Handeland Liz Phoenix is an ex-cop turned bartender. She has physic abilities that she has never embraced and feels guilty that she wasn't able to save her partner's life. She took herself off the police force and now works in a cop bar as a form of self punishment. When Ruthie, her devoted foster mother, dies in her arms she passes on a secret and special powers that carry great responsibility. Liz is overwhelmed and unsure of what she should do next. She wants the killer caught and she turns to her foster brother and former flame Jimmy. But he possesses secrets of his own and the police are looking for him for the murder of Ruthie. He reveals to Liz that there are demons are earth that are here to destroy mankind. It is there job to destroy them first. Liz has new abilities, the aid of Jimmy and the guidance of Ruthie to carry out their mission. As they journey on to New Mexico and then Manhattan in search for allies and monsters they cross paths with another man from her past, Sawyer. He is also endowed with powers that make him a necessary player in their quest. With two men in the picture now, of course the formula is set for sexual tension and frustration. Together they approach the final battle between good and evil but not all is resolved. This is the first book in a series. I have always enjoyed the paranormal and similar genres. This story has such an interesting premise and gets my attention from the beginning. As the story progresses it felt like the middle of the book was fragmenting and drifting off but it pulled back together for the end. I do look forward to the next book and hope that it will be a successful series.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card