Wrighty's Reads

Ginger High

Ginger High - Melissa Burmester The novel begins in 1901 where a series of murders take place. All of the victims have bite marks on their necks. Could it be vampires? The story jumps forward to modern days and focuses on teen Daisy Fisher. After her school is burnt down, Daisy is sent to a new school in New York. Ginger High is a private school for students with extraordinary powers and abilities. She befriends some of the students who can teleport, heal others, and create fire. She soon finds out that people came to Earth from a parallel world called the Kingdom of Animists. A murder occurs at Ginger High, bringing the supernatural beings Amanta, Matthias, and Taeru from the parallel world. While they investigate the death, Daisy struggles with her supernatural powers, and with her mysterious new friend, Fredrick. Amanta must deal with a long time, buried family secret. What are powers? And what is with this crazy school?My ThoughtsI am so impressed with this talented, young author! She writes this debut novel very well using good grammar and sentence structure. Her story is clever and imaginative with many details about this world and the parallel universe she created. I loved the cover too and thought it was a great choice for this book. While the characters were interesting, it would be helpful to me if they were a bit more developed. I was often confused with the quick changes back and forth between each world and the many different people and had a hard time making those transitions. I appreciated the detailed back story but there were times I couldn't quite connect all the dots to follow along. But I have to stress again how impressed I am with this teenagers efforts. I can't even imagine accomplishing so much at this age! I look forward to reading more from Melissa and expect her to have a long career in writing. She is currently at work on the next book in this series.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card