Wrighty's Reads

Sworn to Silence

Sworn to Silence - Linda Castillo Painters Mills, Ohio is a small rural town where the Amish and the "English" have lived side by side for over two hundred years. But sixteen years ago, a serial killer was on the loose and left victims in his wake shattering this peaceful community. Their innocence was lost and only one victim survived the Slaughterhouse Killer. A fourteen-year-old girl named Katie Burkholder escaped with her life but she would never be the same.When she was old enough she left the Amish community and eventually started a career in law enforcement. When Painters Mills needed a new chief of police she was asked to fill the position. With her unique perspective of the Amish and the English she understands both worlds. She was happy to return and has fit in comfortably for the last two years, until a body of a young woman was discovered in a snowy field. All the painful memories and dark secrets have flooded back and she is now unsure of what exactly happened that horrible night. Katie vows to stop this killer even if she must betray her family to do so.The first thing I noticed about this book was the cover. The image of the empty cornfield in the middle of the winter sets the perfect tone for this murder mystery. The action starts with the very first page as a crime is committed and the first body is found. The story is told from Kate's perspective and the author does an impressive job of tapping into her emotions and her interactions with her family and coworkers. The murders tipped the delicate balance between her two worlds and her self control. The characters are flawed but appealing and I was interested in knowing them. The plot is fast paced with twists and turns that intensify until the end. I will definitely be looking for the rest of this series after finishing the debut. Highly recommended.Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers for a review copy of this book.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card