Wrighty's Reads

Secrets of a Christmas Box

Secrets of a Christmas Box - Steven Hornby, Justin Gerard Enter the magical festive world of the Christmas 'Tree-Dwellers', as Larry, a Christmas snowman, wakes up after the long sleep in the Christmas box, to find his brother is missing. Desperate to find him before Christmas, Larry, along with his girlfriend Debbie, a newcomer Splint, and Larry's companion Tinsel, break the laws of the 'Tree-Elders' and escape down the tree and away into the house, to look for clues. Away from the safety of the tree and in an unfamiliar world, the Dwellers stumble upon a dark and sinister secret that threatens their entire world. Can Larry and the group make it back to the tree in time to warn the others, and finally uncover the truth behind the 'Secrets of a Christmas Box'?With it's colorful cover, 56 charming black and white illustrations on heavy weight paper and entertaining story this book could be a family favorite. There are 24 chapters that would be fun to read a chapter a night for the month of December. While some of the dialogue felt out of place and didn't appeal to me - the parents constantly called each other "Love" and said things like "Goodness", the ornaments had an exciting adventure that kept me interested. Larry the Snowman (my favorite) along with his dog Tinsel, girlfriend Debbie an elf/reindeer and their new friend Splint the wooden soldier go off in search of Larry's brother. The last chapters are a bit scary for younger readers but overall I think this story would really appeal to children. I passed it on to my 5 and 9 year-old nephews and they were thrilled with it, especially the drawings. I think this is a book meant to be shared.Thank you to the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card