Wrighty's Reads

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1)

The Maze Runner - James Dashner When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.This story had me hooked from the first page. In the tradition of the The Hunger Games this dystopian novel is very intriguing. When Thomas first arrives at the Glade he only remembers his name and that's all the information we are given as well. As he gets to know the characters, we get to know the characters. Although none of them have a past to speak of they each have their strengths and weaknesses and it makes them very interesting to follow. They all have a reason for being there but what is it? The beginning seemed a bit slow but as some answers were revealed the pace picked up and the story started to fall into place. So frustrating, yet so good!I did have a hard time wrapping my mind around the scope of the Glade and the Maze. The size, shape and the possible purpose of it all boggled my brain but that only added to the intensity of the story. The kids' simple, self-governed lifestyle is a sharp contrast to the obvious use of the Creator's technology and ingenuity. But it's a dangerous lifestyle and sometimes Gladers pay dearly. I was anxious to get answers but the suspense was addicitive and I didn't want it to end. While I did figure out a few of the smaller mysteries I had no idea who or what was behind it all. Dashner has put together a must read with his excellent writing and and a clever, exciting plot. I can't wait for the next book in the series! Highly recommended.Thank you to Delacorte Press for a review copy of this book.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card