Wrighty's Reads

Christmas Around the World: A Pop-Up Book

Christmas Around the World: A Pop-Up Book - Chuck Fischer This is a beautiful book that I assumed was for kids. I was so wrong! Although children will be fascinated by the 14 pages of pop-ups and pullouts adults will be too. Chuck Fisher is the artist and designer who created this book. It also includes 65 color illustrations and 60 photos that show various Christmas scenes from different time periods around the world. There are also booklets that describe traditions and customs from several countries. One explained the story of St. Nick and how he evolved into Santa Claus. The major changes to Santa came through the 1800s and early 1900s when different artists depicted the image in different ways. The most recent changes that are recognized in our modern culture came from a Cocoa-Cola campaign in the 1930s. Who knew?I've already looked at this several times and I keep finding new things. I may share this with the children in the family but I'm keeping it for myself! Thank you so much to Anysia at Booklorn - Books I Have Known and Hatchette Books for the contest that provided me with the 5 Christmas books that included this one.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card