Wrighty's Reads

The Sound of Sleigh Bells

The Sound of Sleigh Bells: A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country - Cindy Woodsmall Beth Hertzler works alongside her beloved Aunt Lizzy in their dry goods store, and serving as contact of sorts between Amish craftsmen and Englischers who want to sell the Plain people’s wares. But remorse and loneliness still echo in her heart everyday as she still wears the dark garb, indicating mourning of her fiancé. When she discovers a large, intricately carved scene of Amish children playing in the snow, something deep inside Beth’s soul responds and she wants to help the unknown artist find homes for his work–including Lizzy’s dry goods store. But she doesn’t know if her bishop will approve of the gorgeous carving or deem it idolatry. Lizzy sees the changes in her niece when Beth shows her the woodworking, and after Lizzy hunts down Jonah, the artist, she is all the more determined that Beth meets this man with the hands that create healing art. But it’s not that simple–will Lizzy’s elaborate plan to reintroduce her niece to love work? Will Jonah be able to offer Beth the sleigh ride she’s always dreamed of and a second chance at real love–or just more heartbreak?My thoughts:This is the second book I've read by Cindy Woodsmall and I like her better every time! She writes so well about the Amish lifestyle. It may be a simpler way but it's not always less complicated. This story is short but packed with emotions and heartache. The main characters have endured their own hardships that have changed who they are. Their family and friends have recognized the differences but don't know how to help them. When a simple exchange of letters lights that spark in their eyes again they begin to realize that life may not be so bleak after all. Now they have to decide what they want out of life and how far they will go to get it. This story will touch your heart with the charming characters and the hopeful theme.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card