Wrighty's Reads

Kat, Incorrigible

Kat, Incorrigible - Stephanie Burgis I haven't read a book like this in a long time. Jane Austen isn't quite my cup of tea so I wasn't sure if I would like it but I was hooked from the first page. It brought me back to my childhood with it's whimsical, magical story and adorable, colorful cover. The characters had interesting personalities rather you liked them or not. Some were extremely annoying but that provided contrast to how much I enjoyed Kat. She is the ultimate tomboy in a time where that is not tolerated. She longs for adventure and although she is usually in trouble for her unladylike behavior or disobeying the rules, she is extremely loyal to her family and very brave. Her older sisters have their own problems and are often frustrated with Kat but they know when to put family first as well. When Kat bumbles attempts at magic that is apparently inherited from her dead mother, a chain of events are put in motion and chaos ensues. What fun for the reader!Although aimed at middle grade readers this is fun for all. Filled with action, adventure and romance, the story lagged a bit for me in the middle but picked up steam again. The ending provided a nice set up for the next book in the series. I look forward to reading more from the feisty, snarky Kat!Thank you to Simon & Schuster for an ARC to review. (My apologies for the late date. I thought I had posted this already.)

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card