Wrighty's Reads

Struck

Struck - Jennifer Bosworth I seem drawn to the dystopian genre lately and there are plenty of them out there. I was immediately pulled into this story. A girl who is struck by lightning, multiple times, is not something you read about every day. Mia seems likeable but I wanted to know more about her. We get peeks into the past but not many details, especially regarding her family. She is a tough teen who is trying to survive and protect her younger brother and injured mother at the same time. She was forced to become the leader of her family. Unfortunately she started to become unlikeable rather quickly. I was impressed with her resilience and I can suspend disbelief but she made so many dumb choices. And there was so much skulking around that didn't really lead to anything. The middle of the book felt too long and drawn out with parts that kept repeating with no real results. It seemed like a chunk of that could have been removed and it would have tightened up the story a bit. I like the premise and the action was interesting during the actual storms but I didn't care as much for the build up to it. I think that was part of what I mentioned before with the repetition. There are many references to different religious beliefs since some characters view the storms as the end of the world. I didn't have a problem with this and thought that was to be expected from a variety of people with a variety of viewpoints. Two different groups, a religious cult - the Followers, and their opposer - the Seekers, are desperate to have Mia join them and want to use any special powers she may have attained from the lightning strikes. I found it to be an interesting and an important part of Mia's dilemma in trying to figure out her role.I really do think this debut has potential and I hope the next book can work out the kinks. I know I will read more from this author and will probably try book #2.Thank you to Macmillan (Fierce Reads campaign) for an arc in exchange for my honest review.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card