Wrighty's Reads

101

101 - Margaret Chatwin Teenagers Trigg and his younger sister Ren were sent away from their abusive father to a facility that many people don't come back from. Although their crime was committed in self defense, the New Age Order (NAO) justice system believed in swift justice, no mercy and no distinction between crimes. They were placed in township 101 with every type of criminal possible. Unlike a traditional prison system, these inmates had been released into an abandoned village surrounded by armed guards and electric fences. There were few rules from the outside because the NAO didn't really care if they survived or not. There were several rules on the inside though and Trigg and Ren had to quickly learn them in order to survive. I really enjoyed the characters and developed strong feelings for them throughout the story. Love them or hate them (and there were a few I really hated), their actions stirred up emotions. As each of their backgrounds slowly emerged the reader was able to discover why each of them came to be at 101. I would have liked to find out more about some of the secondary characters but I was still able to get the general idea. It was interesting to see what it took for all of them to find their strength and how far they were willing to go to survive. Trigg wasn't much of a fighter when it came to defending himself but he would fight to the death to protect Ren. And in an exciting final confrontation some did make that sacrifice.This was my first book by Margaret Chatwin but it won't be my last. Well written and very intense, this was an action-packed, quick read. While it's of the young adult genre it has very adult, and often violent themes so I recommend this to older teens and up. Thank you to Goodreads - Shut Up & Read! reading group (Read It and Reap 71) for an ebook in exchange for my honest review.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card