Wrighty's Reads

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1)

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1) - I've enjoyed this author's writing so I was very curious about this one but I wasn't sure if I would care for the topic. The vampire market seems pretty saturated so I didn't know how this could be any different but I was pleasantly surprised. The author came up with her own dark world, no sparkly vamps here! Most of the humans endure a harsh and gritty existence, struggling to survive every day. In the vampire city you can choose to belong and give up your blood freely in exchange for their protection or you can try to make it on your own, free but desperate for food and shelter. Allie has chosen to live free in the outskirts of the city among other stragglers. It is survival of the fittest. When she is attacked and must make the ultimate choice all the rules change for her.I like reading about a tough heroine and Allie is a strong example. She faces one obstacle after another but can defend herself and also protect others. She knows how to adjust and adapt and above all else, she wants to survive. Through all her struggles she is also able to retain her humanity. Her world is a desperate place but it's not without hope.The author nicely builds the story as new characters are gradually introduced and we get glimpses into their backgrounds.The world she created wasn't traditional and had some original elements.This was a long story but mostly interesting. The middle did feel drawn out and somewhat monotonous but the action later picked up again. There were also details that didn't really make sense to me but I am curious to see if they will be explained better in the next book. Kagawa has introduced an unusual series with this first installment and I look forward to reading where it goes from here.The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2) coming 5/13Thank you to NetGalley for an ebook in exchange for my honest review.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card