Wrighty's Reads

The Lost Treasure of Tuckernuck

The Lost Treasure of Tuckernuck - Emily Fairlie This is an enjoyable middle grade read that includes humor and mystery. With a chicken for the school mascot (the Tuckernuck Cluckers!) you know there are going to be some funny moments. Laurie and Bud are new 6th graders at this unusual school and not off to a very good start. In fact, Laurie is planning to transfer to another school as soon as possible but coming from a family of Clucker alumni makes that tough. When she and Bud as forced into an unlikely partnership they discover the first clue to the school's hidden treasure. As an exciting adventure unfolds, Laurie develops a new outlook on the school and their quest is off at a frantic pace with a deadline looming for demolition day. The details of the treasure hunt are quite interesting and the characters begin to adapt and grow. The more they learn about the history of Tuckernuck Academy the more their priorities change and the less selfish their motives become. The references to famous authors and artists, as well as the illustrations and copies of notes and emails, were a fun addition. The quirky humor was my favorite element. This is an enjoyable story for adults as well as young readers! Thank you to HarperCollins for the arc in exchange for my honest review.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card