Wrighty's Reads

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: A Novel

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer I wasn't sure what to expect with this title and the topic but I'm so glad I read it. This was suggested for a book club and I'm not much of a history buff but it sounded interesting and informative. This book takes place in 1946 in London and on Guernsey, an island in the British Channel shortly after WWII. Guernsey had been occupied by the Nazis for five years and is trying to resume a "normal" life. A resident happens to write a letter to Juliet Ashton, an author in London who is struggling to find a new subject for her next book. A pen pal relationship forms and she learns of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a book club among residents there with an interesting history. As more members write to Juliet it is decided that she should visit their island and meet the Society members in person. The story continues through correspondences among several characters, all of which are interesting, informative, often heart breaking yet sometimes funny. Although the characters here are fictional the history of the island and the time period is factual. I learned so much through this story and fell in love with the island and it's residents. I also admired the author Mary Ann Barrows determination to write this story and her niece Annie Barrows ability to finish the novel when her aunt fell ill and later passed away. Their combined efforts led to a delightful read.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
Karen Foxlee
Pathfinder (Jimmy Coates, #1)
Orson Scott Card